Tuesday, October 2, 2012

So next morning (Wednesday, August 22nd) before work I dropped off the car at his shop. For the next




My car got slightly read-ended on Tuesday, August 21st during alaska airline credit card mile program my lunch time. My first accident ever and it's not even my fault. Nothing major just a bunch of scratches and one clip on the side of the bumper needed to be replaced.
I did all the major jazz like gave the lady who bump into me an option, either cash or insurance. She decided to go through insurance. It was fine by me as I called my broker and they assured me that my rates won't go up as I'm absolutely at no fault. alaska airline credit card mile program So I went to police station and did colision report.
After I called my insurance and explained alaska airline credit card mile program how and what happened and that I have a bodyshop for my car to get fixed. Asked them if I can get a rental car while my car is in shop getting fixed so I can get to the office and back home. Also told them that I will need my car back latest on Sunday, April 26th as next day I'd have to leave to site for 2 weeks. I got absolutely declined over the phone to get a rental car while my car would be in the shop. Was told that my policy does not cover it. Ok sad face.
That same evening I called body shop guy and met up with him so he could take a look at my car. While I was there I told him to fix up my bumper, some roof and 4 inner fenders. He said No problem I'll get you ride fixed up.
So next morning (Wednesday, August 22nd) before work I dropped off the car at his shop. For the next 3 business days I had to borrow my buddy's Yamaha R6 just so I could go to work (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday August 24th). All these time I wish I had a rental car in a way.
Bodyshop alaska airline credit card mile program guy calls on Saturday, August 26th and says come pick up the car. I'm all excited going to grab my ride. When I get there he tells me straight up that he wants to re-do the roof part. So whenever I get back from site work to drop off the car at his shop again. I was cool with that.
So I get on the phone with her. She starts playing word games with me saying that she doesn't alaska airline credit card mile program remember anything about telling me that I can not have rental alaska airline credit card mile program car while my car is in the shop being fixed. But then she remembers me telling her that I'm leaving to site for 2 weeks and that I will need rental for those 2 weeks. There's no way I can have a rental for 2 weeks.
The main reason I'm trying to get a rental car now is so I can drop off my ride to that bodyshop so he could do final touches and fix some errors. Basically I'm trying to get those 3 day of rental car that I was liable for.
First off, who did you deal with when you reported the accident to the insurance company? Did you report the accident to your broker or the actual insurance company? Did you ever deal with the actual property adjuster that handled the claim?
Whoever dealt with you were careless, whenever you are not at fault for an accident alaska airline credit card mile program you should have access to a rental car during the approved repair time to fix your car. Now they cannot approve this until they can confirm fault of the accident but after they do they should tell you or the shop to go ahead with the repairs and then get you into a rental. This is built into basic insurance coverage in Ontario. EVERYBODY has this coverage if they have Liability coverage in Ontario. Rental car amendments cover accidents were you are partial or fully at fault for an accident and you need a rental during your repairs covered by your insurance. If they told you that you were not entitled to a rental alaska airline credit card mile program car then they definitely screwed up but as a consumer you have to know your rights alaska airline credit card mile program as well. Also, did you have the repairs done before they gave approval to go ahead or did you just get a verbal go ahead and then got the letter later on.
As for getting them to pay for your rental now to fix something not accident related you can forget about it. No one will authorize it now. I would call up and speak to the supervisor of whoever dealt with you and let them know that they screwed you out of a rental for those 3 days while your car was repaired.
My understanding of automobile insurance is to take you and your vehicle back to the original state before the accident. The fact that you are already restored, they would not back track on the rental. The only hope is to produce a receipt showing you paid for a rental car for 3 days to get around.
If you really want to push it, you can speak with the supervisor and refer to section 6.2 of the Ontario Auto Policy. What you are actually entitled alaska airline credit card mile program to here is not a rental car per se, but rather the loss of use of your vehicle. Loss of use can mean (but does not exclusively mean) payment for the rental of a car but it also includes things like bus fare, cabs, etc... alaska airline credit card mile program The easiest route for an insurer to take is a rental car but in some cases this is not possible (ie persons under 21 who may not be able to rent a car). You have a legitimate 3 day loss of use claim IMHO. To verify the number of days, simply multiply the labour hours on the estimate by 0.3 and that should give you approximately the amount of time needed by the shop to fix the vehicle.
Maybe grab a rental for 3 days, pay out of pocket and get reimbursed? I'm not sure how it works though. You're not technically out of your own money except for the down time the car spent at the body shop and you didn't have a car. Maybe see how much 3 days rental would be and ask for that back?

No comments:

Post a Comment