Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Having such fond memories, I decided to have a quick search on the interwebs to see what the place w




Some months ago I purchased an Ion PICS 2 SD scanner, with the aim of converting all of my old photographs and negatives into digital format. I ve not made a huge amount of progress so far, but I did come across a number of photographs taken one October half term in the late 1970s at the Cliff End Hotel in Bournemouth (or Boscombe, to be precise).
Usually, our holidays involved caravanning expeditions (usually to Wales or Scotland) rather than staying in hotels. If this wasn t the first time I d stayed in a hotel (I m fairly sure an October break in Blackpool to see the illuminations pre-dated this occasion), then it was certainly the first time my brother and I had been old enough to have a room separate from our parents. I m certain online airline ticket agencies that it was the first time (and quite probably the last) that I d eaten oxtail as a main course rather than as an ingredient in a soup (!) and most importantly for the development of my future career, I m also certain that it was the first time that I ever bought a copy of Practical Electronics magazine.
Other things I remember from the hotel was the games room with its pinball table (and not realising that there were flippers on the side to keep the ball in play), the bar with its strange red PVC chairs and glitter ball as well as the slightly intimidating reception desk and clock. One of the highlights of the holiday was visiting the motor museum at Beaulieu . I remember with great fondness the enthusiasm of my father for all of the exhibits and the realisation now that he d have probably enjoyed the whole experience a lot more without me and my brother online airline ticket agencies constantly sniping at each other.
Having such fond memories, I decided to have a quick search on the interwebs to see what the place was like today and perhaps seeing about staying there the next time I ended up working in or around Dorset. I quickly discovered there was a significant problem with that plan
And then two years ago, which is the first time I saw it was derelict. It was very sad. The crazy golf has been replaced with a new one which is in the same style (green carpets and geometry, not a windmill in sight!) The cars and boats have long since gone but Boscome Chine is still very much the same place to be.
It s a real shame to see the place as it is now and it looks as if not very much can be done to save it. Still, maybe there s hope. The Roundhouse on Pride Park in Derby lay derelict for more than a decade and now it forms a spectacular online airline ticket agencies centrepiece of the Derby College campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment