Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Maybe this is considered too elementary for your readers, but if you want to close your Chase Freedo




Blog Travel Credit Cards Airlines Bank Reward Points Hotels Business Credit Card Resources Hot Deals New to Miles Points Mile Point Resources Airline Award Charts Airline Frequent Flyer Program Sign-Up Hotel Reward Night Charts Hotel Reward Program Sign-Up About Contact Me
But you ve got to be careful with points issued by banks such as American Express Membership Rewards , Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Citi Thank You points because you can lose ALL the points in your account by cancelling them.
For example, if you cancel your Citi American Airlines credit card 10 months after getting the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus, you will not lose the 50,000 American exotic car rentals in new jersey Airlines miles which are already in your American Airlines account.
exotic car rentals in new jersey Often times, customer service representatives lead folks to believe that cancelling a card will result in you losing your miles.  What the representatives are really trying to say (besides scaring you into keeping the card) is that you will lose the miles and points which haven t yet posted to your account.
For example, let s say that your credit card billing cycle is from August 20 to September 15, but you cancel your card on September 10th.  In this case, you will lose the miles which you earned from August 20 up to September 10, and which would have posted to your account around September 15.
That said, some cards do have provisions exotic car rentals in new jersey in the terms and condition to take back the sign-up bonus if you cancel the card in 3 or 6 months.  I ve read very few reports of this actually being enforced, but I usually don t cancel a card for at least 6 to 8 months.
However, the miles and points in your airline or hotel account will still be subject to the regular expiration policy of the airline or hotel.  For example, American Airlines miles expire after 18 months.
For example, you could redeem an award, use miles to buy magazines, buy or transfer miles, earn miles for dining, or buy something for $1 or $2 on the American Airlines shopping mall.  You could even earn miles by flying!
exotic car rentals in new jersey You usually will LOSE the points earned from a banks own reward program which are already in your account , such as American Express Membership Rewards , Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Citi Thank You points, when you cancel a card unless you transfer the points out or have another credit card which earns points in that program.  You can transfer points online exotic car rentals in new jersey or by calling the banks.
1.   Have another Membership Rewards card.      You won t lose your points if you have another American Express card which earns Membership Rewards points AND which is linked to the same Membership Rewards points account as the credit card which you cancel.
2.  Transfer to Airline Partners.   Transfer your Membership Rewards points to airline or hotel partners before cancelling the card.  You can even transfer Membership Rewards points exotic car rentals in new jersey to anyone else s airline or hotel accounts.
3.  Grace Period.   The terms suggest that you have 30 days to transfer the points out of your Membership Rewards account if you cancel all your Membership Rewards cards, but have at least one open (non-Membership Rewards) American Express card.
If you voluntarily cancel enrollment in the program or cancel all Linked Accounts enrolled in the program but keep at least one AMEX Card open and in good standing, you will have up to 30 days from date of cancellation to redeem the points accrued in the program account.
I interpret this to mean that you can cancel all your American Express Membership Rewards points, but still have 30 days to transfer points as long as you have another American Express card such as the Starwood or Hilton card.
However, if you do decide to take this route, I would confirm with the Customer Representative that you do indeed have 30 days from cancellation to use your points before losing them.  This could be risky!
4.   Reinstatement.  If you get a new Membership Rewards card within 1 year after cancelling, you *may* be able to request your points be reinstated by writing a letter exotic car rentals in new jersey to the Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit.
Be sure to highlight your previous history with American Express, exotic car rentals in new jersey high credit score, and responsible credit usage in the letter.  Telling them you ve seen the light and are returning to American Express shouldn t hurt either!
You will lose ALL the points in your account if you close a credit card which earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points.  There is NO grace period to transfer the points out of your account after you cancel the card.  You can t transfer or use them immediately after cancelling.
You can also transfer Ultimate Rewards exotic car rentals in new jersey points to anyone else s airline or hotel account instantly on the Ultimate Rewards exotic car rentals in new jersey website.   Technically, the terms say that you should do this only to transfer points exotic car rentals in new jersey to your spouse or domestic partner, but it appears to work for transfers to any account.
You usually have 30 days to use your Thank You points earned from a credit card before losing the points in your account.   There are lots of ways to earn Thank You points, but this post only discusses the expiration for Thank You points earned from credit cards.
2.   Transfer to Another of Your Accounts. exotic car rentals in new jersey   You can call Citi (1-800-THANKYOU) or  transfer online your Thank You points earned from one credit card to another of your credit card s Thank You point account.  But you have to use those transferred exotic car rentals in new jersey points within 90 days.
3.   Transfer to Another Person s Account.   You can transfer Thank You points from your account to another person s Thank You points account.  But you have to use those transferred points exotic car rentals in new jersey within 90 days.
* If you liked this post, why don't you join the  7,000+  readers who have signed-up to receive  free blog posts  via  email  (only 1 email per day!)  or in a  RSS reader  …because then you'll never miss another credit card tip!
Maybe this is considered too elementary exotic car rentals in new jersey for your readers, but if you want to close your Chase Freedom account, you can just use the points like cash to pay part of your last bill. For example, 10K points pays $100. Since it s a free account, exotic car rentals in new jersey you may wonder why anyone would cancel it, but we are considering it because for some reason its website is just too slow and hard to use, and we really like to be able to pay our credit card bills online. So we re probably going to have to give up on this one since we haven t been able to figure out what the problem is.
As for Membership Rewards, I m sorry to say that this program is not the program exotic car rentals in new jersey I signed up for. It seems to have lost all value. I m wondering if you have any suggestion for something someone could do with a bit more than 10K points. Thanks when I first got the card, I was thrilled, but these orphan points seem useless and discourage me from wanting to use it any more since I m afraid the points will never amount to anything worthwhile.
@ Daraius, exotic car rentals in new jersey you must be careful with the Chase Ultimate Rewards. When you transfer exotic car rentals in new jersey the points to someone else, the recipient has only 60 days in which to use them (transfer, spend or whatever) or they will disappear.
I nearly was caught by this when I transferred my wife s points to my account and I got very annoyed with Chase until CS rep changed them from clock ticking category into my general general pool of points.
And, I made another error it is 30 days, not 60. So don t transfer unless the recipient is planning to use them right away. I now value these points quite low and will transfer my 50,000 to an Amazon gift certificate (and then get another Thank You card )
Thanks, Frank, but, silly me, I don t fly United. I fly Delta, and I thought Amex had a relationship- with Delta. However, the last time I logged in, I was unable to find a way to transfer a small amount of miles, roughly 11K MR to Delta any other suggestions? I m probably going to go try again while I m all fired up.
@peachfront You can always cash out the points before cancelling, but I didn t include that in the list. I m surprised that you are having a tough time with the Chase website I think it is one of the best credit card websites and I ve been banking with Chase online for over 10 years!
Which Membership Rewards card do you have? Not all of them let you transfer points to airline or hotel partners. Transferring exotic car rentals in new jersey to British Airways could make sense since you can redeem for short distance American Airlines flights starting at 4,500 Avios. If none of these options are appealing, exotic car rentals in new jersey you could cash out for gift cards or use the Pay with Points option.
Hello! I m planning to apply for Citi Hilton Reserve card today using Darius s link today. I would like to cancel at least one of the two Citi AA cards (one Visa, one AMEX) that I would like to cancel as well. I m glad I read this, because it seems like I can cancel both and keep my AA miles, unless they give me a really good retention offer.
I have about $10K credit limit on each Citi AA cards. When I do apply for the Citi Hilton Reserve card using Darius s link and get approved immediately, but have a low CL, should I call Citi to transfer my credit limit over? Or do people generally only call when the app is put on hold? I have not applied for a citi card since May 2012. Thanks!
I canceled my American Express card after transferring all my Membership Rewards balance to my delta program. About 40 days later, Amex sent me a $50 check reimbursement for some points that I earned and they have not being posted to my account at the time of cancelation.
How does it work with US airways card I had the card 3 months and was rejected when trying to churn saying exotic car rentals in new jersey I already had the card . So thinking of canceling the 3 month old card and try to apply again in few months. I am hoping miles earned exotic car rentals in new jersey will be safe as I didn t see any 6 months condition in the terms.
@Frank- exotic car rentals in new jersey You had me completely freaked out this morning. According to the Chase rep I spoke with this morning, you are COMPLETELY WRONG regarding combined points expiring. I realize now you made an incorrect reference, and were referring to Than

No comments:

Post a Comment