Tuesday, August 28, 2012

@Jackie I was pleased that I had no problem keeping up with anyone in the group. I m not sure how ma




About a month ago I was invited by the media group representing  Travel Alberta to join them on a two day combination hike and scree climb to the precariously situated Abbott Pass Hut on the Alberta BC border. Their goal is to produce a three to four minute video of the journey for the Travel Alberta website for release later this fall.
In our hiking group talent is what we were called none of us had been in anything but a home video before. We had to agree before going that we would cooperate at all times with photos, videos and interviews.  Sure no problem I figured . And fortunately, the on camera sessions got easier over the course of the two days.
And I love the mountains. I revel in their beauty and delight in the solitude. That s not to say that I m not intimidated at times and in fact occasionally terrified lax car rentals on a talus slope when the boulders underneath you start to move. Trust me, I am.
Out of the four hikers, I was the oldest by far. In fact I could have been their mother. What I had going for me was experience and I figured I was in shape enough to make it up the close to 3000 feet of vertical with a pack on my back.
And as it turned out there were many in the group of ten who had never done anything like this before. lax car rentals In fact our guide Tamara said that she thinks it was probably the first time Abbott Pass Hut had anyone walk through the door in jeans. (Thank heavens the weather cooperated because not all were dressed appropriately!)
Once you get into the section shown in the photo below you have to focus on every footstep. You don t want to get a leg or a hand caught under a boulder. And you certainly don t want to dislodge one and send it bouncing down the mountain.
The only part of the climb I really disliked was the middle section. Through here the boulders were larger and more mobile. At times it felt like you were on a sliding mountain. Whenever a boulder started to go my adrenalin surged. One step at a time was my mantra.
The backside of the saddle that takes you down to Lake Louise is called The Death Trap. One of the guides said he d done it once before and never again. Ice randomly breaks off from the glacier plus there are numerous crevasses to traverse.
What a unique experience and how brave you are! I love hiking and I guess I would do almost everything to have such an amazing view. The part that scares me is the rocky route (related to bad children memories), but maybe with a mountain guide I would overcome my fears.
Can t wait to see the video when it s released. I d love to check out Abbott Pass Hut, but I m afraid the steep grades might get the better lax car rentals of me. I wish I had some of your adventurous hiking lax car rentals skills and experience. The lake and mountains are quite stunning. Beautiful shots.
@Marcia I can t even imagine the difficulties that lay in building this hut. They had to come up the Death Zone with all the materials. And they certainly didn t have the lightweight equipment we have. These men (I m assuming men) had to have been a courageous lot.
I loved your reference to being old enough to be. . . I don t know how many times when we ask some youngin behind a hotel reception desk where something is and are told in a hushed cautionary tone, Well, it IS several blocks away. . . Which usually prompts Joel to say to me minutes later, How old do they think we ARE??!!
Another gorgeous scenery and hike! You constantly lax car rentals amaze me with these challenging hikes you do and this just looks scary. Love the reflection shots. That Abbot House outhouse may have to go on the record books for having the best views. Glad you made it through and looking forward to the video.
@Jackie I was pleased that I had no problem keeping lax car rentals up with anyone in the group. I m not sure how many of my readers would be keen to do this one not many is my guess though people seem to be enjoying the photos.
@Cathy I can t wait to see the video either. I m not one to look for the limelight so I hope my speaking is kept to only a few sound bites here and there. And it was a positively breathtaking experience. My legs took three days to fully recover.
I've been all over the world – to all continents but Antarctica and to a grand total of 53 countries. I've always got some sort of an adventure planned – even if it's only a weekend. I thrive on change and travel provides that.
Recent Comments Hike Bike Travel on Gobsmacked by the Rainbow Range in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park Hike Bike Travel on Moose Clears a Barbed Wire Fence in 3 Easy Moves Jackie Smith on Moose Clears a Barbed Wire Fence in 3 Easy Moves Hike Bike Travel lax car rentals on Moose Clears a Barbed Wire Fence in 3 Easy Moves Hike Bike Travel on A Superb Hike to Guinn Pass in Kananaskis Country
TweetGarret Kramer, author of Stillpower: Excellence With Ease in Sports and Life offers a unique prescription for excellence in sports and in fact life. His easy to read, 195 page book challenges traditional wisdom lax car rentals when it comes to optimum mental performance. Although the book is primarily geared towards coaches and athletes, I found myself thinking that [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment