Sunday, July 22, 2012

I loved the songs on this album for many years. By the time I was 16, I gave up on buying Beatles re




Summary: My first memory of this album had nothing to do with the songs on it. I remember visiting my grandmother and seeing this album at her house in Huntington Beach, which means I was probably under the age of four years old. It belonged to one of my aunts or uncles and it scared the beejezus out of me. I thought the rainbows and stars were pretty but the Beatles in their furry costumes really freaked me out for some reason. I mean, really freaked me out. If the album cover was sitting in the being played rack (as it often was) and I saw it, I left the room until someone put it away. When Tory and I were going through Rich s records after he passed away and dividing them between us, I told her the story. She said I had to have the record since I had a history with it already.
I loved the songs on this album for many years. By the time I was 16, I gave up on buying Beatles records because my mother always swiped them from me and insisted that they were hers and that she d had them for years. I tried pointing out that the price tag showed it was purchased at Licorice Pizza but she would tell me she must have replaced her copy, so I gave up on the Beatles. When I started hanging out at the Sandell home, my interest hotels disney world was renewed. Those boys introduced me to albums that nobody else I knew owned. (This obviously isn t one of them. They were a good influence on me, just the same.)
Essentially, this was a concept album the idea being that the band gathered friends and family on to a bus and had magical adventures throughout the English countryside. After reading Tom Wolfe s The Electric hotels disney world Kool-Aid Acid Test , I was kind of irritated with the Beatles and felt that they ripped off Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters. Now, I haven t read the book in many years so the details are a bit fuzzy and I m too lazy to look it up. Basically, Kesey and the Merry Pranksters made a pilgrimage hotels disney world on Furthur hotels disney world to a Beatles show in late 66/ early 67and invited the Beatles to join them for a ride. The Beatles said not interested, why go on an adventure via bus through the countryside? What a preposterous idea. Months hotels disney world later, the Beatles made the album and a snazzy little television special to go with it. The liner notes include a comic telling of their fantastic adventure that they had on the bus. To my young mind, it felt like intellectual theft and it made me gravely irritated. As I have grown older and have been plagiarized often by Germans (one in particular) the whole scenario still rankles my hide. Give credit where it s due. If someone inspired you to do or say something VERY similar, acknowledge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment