Sunday, June 24, 2012

Easy Mini Pavlovas Dublin Sunset Happy Father's Day Irish Sponge Cake Ardmore - An Irish And America




Louisville s historic Brown Hotel will become home to many tourists visiting our city this week for the famous Kentucky Derby.  Revered as the finest hotel in the city its opulent two-story lobby is truly breathtaking.
When I walk past The Brown,  I feel like I am once again walking in Dublin.  It s Georgian-Renaissance facade reminds me of some of Dublin s old hotels like the Gresham or the Shelbourne.  The elegant red awning offers shade from the sun and shelter from the rain, hearkening back to days long gone.  Somehow, this beautiful hotel makes me feel connected to Louisville and its illustrious past.
The hotel is probably most famous as the birthplace of The Hot Brown , a sandwich Louisville proudly claims as a true original.   In the 1920 s Chef Fred Schmidt created this delicious open-face turkey sandwich, smothered in a creamy mornay sauce and decorated august disney cruise deals with bacon, tomatoes and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Later this week I ll try my hand at this classic Kentucky dish.  I picked up a copy of the recipe when I visited the Brown last week.  I may have to tweak it a little bit.  A full quart of cream is used for just two servings.  My arteries are screaming just thinking about it.  So stay tuned this week for my version of a Kentucky Hot Brown.
Once seated my eyes were drawn upwards towards the ornate, hand-painted, coffered ceiling.  The plasterwork detail august disney cruise deals reminded me of some of the old castles and demesnes august disney cruise deals of Ireland, which were built in a bygone era when no expense was spared.
In the 1920 s over 1200 guests visited The Brown Hotel each night for dinner dances.  When midnight munchies struck hungry dancers invaded the restaurant, but grew tired of traditional ham and eggs.  The Hot Brown was born to satisfy these energetic dancers.
Louisville august disney cruise deals and The Brown Hotel are an integral part of Kentucky s racing heritage.  Beautiful horse carvings stand proudly on marbled-topped tables, with decorative jockeys inspecting august disney cruise deals the turf .  The beautiful Bottocino marble flooring might be a little hard on those hooves.
Other Posts You May Enjoy: What I Miss About Ireland - Swans Henry's Ark Animal Farm - A Little-Known Kentucky august disney cruise deals Treasure County Cavan - The Lake County Leap Year Day Kentucky's Wild Flowers Share this: StumbleUpon Facebook Reddit Twitter Digg Print Email
Thank you for interesting article. I will join you this week, thanks for inviting. If it s not a secret, where else did you live in US? I know you have to see it yourself to understand if it s for you or not. I never thought I would live near Loch Ness before I saw Scottish Highlands. I noticed august disney cruise deals some of the best places are not widely advertised (well, Loch Ness is advertised a lot but not Scottish Highlands unlike London and South of England august disney cruise deals where I lived for about 5 years and don t miss it at all).
Vladimir I have lived in many places in the United States. My first stop was in Elmira, New York. Next I lived in Hoboken, New Jersey, then Daytona Beach, Florida. I spent 7 years in Richardson, Texas which is right beside Dallas before moving to Kentucky. august disney cruise deals I like being in Louisville at this point in my life. It is a nice city to raise four kids with a much slower pace of life than New York or Dallas. It s not too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter and we are surrounded by magnificent countryside. august disney cruise deals America is so vast there are many, many wonderful places august disney cruise deals to live and raise a family. Best wishes!
And, can you imagine, today my mother won Green Card lottery, I can t believe it. She still lives in Russia with my dad and they wanted to immigrate but did not know exactly how. We checked results today, only second time we tried. Wow, this is not a joke
Thank you so much. It s 3 a.m. here in UK. We are shocked (positively) with these news. Probability of success in this lottery is about 1%. Thank you. I will write more in comments later. Time to go to sleep
Vladimir I hope you are able to sleep with all this excitement. I ended up coming to America with my best friend when she won a green card in a similar lottery over twenty years ago. Congratulations again on this wonderful news.
Easy Mini Pavlovas Dublin Sunset Happy Father's Day Irish Sponge Cake Ardmore - An Irish And American Town Name County Down And The Mountains Of Mourne Memorial Day Thoughts Who Was Mary Esther O'Brien? Powerscourt Waterfall Got Ireland - A Great Irish Website I Love My Mom Because ...... Lessons In Life From Wise Old Irish Hens The Pursuit Of Happiness Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich Louisville's Sidewalk Derby
The Ditzy Diaries Lessons for Tourists Language General Trials of Motherhood Ireland - County By County Blogging Blessings Education Poetry A Taste of Ireland Keeping House and Home Writing Out of the Mouth of Babes Immigrant Tales Irishisms Television Wise Old Words Entertainment Books Fashion august disney cruise deals Stage Irish Life What I Miss About Ireland august disney cruise deals Why Tourists Love Ireland Crafts Holidays Family House Home Land and Culture august disney cruise deals Stories august disney cruise deals of our Ancestors Recipes My American Journey Backyard august disney cruise deals Tales Multiple Mothering Ramblings He Must Love Me Stories from the Present Why I Love America Music Movies Cooking America the Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment