Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First impression once inside was that the hotel was nice.  Quite nice, clean, and modern.  They d ma




Up early, and off to the smaller domestic Ogle Airport for the flight with Gum Air to Zorg en Hoop Airport in Paramaribo, Suriname. Both of are the smaller airports that are downtown and when they say small they mean small! Unlike the charter flight to the falls the previous day, this one was actually pretty serious with security/immigration/etc, but they paid absolutely no attention to the baggage allowance. It was advertise at only 15 kg per person, but I was closer to 19-20 and they didn t say a word. It was only like $2/kg extra anyways, so
I had bought my tickets with TransGuyana Airlines, but showed up to find out the flight was operated by Gum Air. Seems they codeshare on this route, with TransGuyana offering one flight, and GumAir the other. Since my ticket was just a computer printout, I had no way of knowing in advance. No big deal, I was glad to see, however, it was the same plane type as the day before.
The airport was two rooms, a departures/arrivals hall where the immigration guys sat at small makeshift desks and did their work, and a front check-in/baggage area where our bags were brought to us by a tractor!
First impression once inside was that the hotel was nice.  Quite nice, clean, and modern.  They d made a big deal when I booked the driver that check-in time is 3pm, and anything before gps airline flight tracker that would be an extra charge.  When I asked how much, they agreed to do a favour and let me check-in early.  However, room wasn t ready but it was just a 30 minute wait not too bad.
I had been unable gps airline flight tracker to book a day hike to the Brownsberg gps airline flight tracker National Park the next day from Washington, so I set the concierge to work on that when I headed out to explore the city.  First stop near the hotel was the I love SU display.  This campaign is going on, and you can see it on t-shirts, posters, and all kinds of little gadgets all over the country.  Unfortunately, I forgot to pick something up as a souvenir.
Another five minutes of walking and skies were starting to look rather ominous.  Came to the Cathedral, which was locked up tight for some reason.  Oh well, so much for using that as a refuge from the impending rain.  Onwards!
Again, both were closed.  I was beginning to get the sense that places in this town didn t want visitors!  It was a Tuesday afternoon, gps airline flight tracker so I m not sure what was up.  By this point, the rain had started coming gps airline flight tracker down hard, and I ducked gps airline flight tracker into what appeared to be the most popular place in town to avoid it.  I admit it, I just wanted the SpongeBob Happy Meal!
Wandered a bit longer, eventually making it back to the hotel for a short rest before dinner.  I hadn t seen anywhere gps airline flight tracker that looked really promising for dinner gps airline flight tracker so decided to go with the number one recommended place on TripAdvisor because naturally, everyone wants to eat thai food in Suriname, right?  Went to the Garden gps airline flight tracker of Eden , and had a very nice seat out in the garden.  For starters, a very unusual daily special a cantaloup margarita, which was actually super tasty.
It just wasn t good.  At all.  Soupy, baby corn and broccoli, and was definitely the strangest green curry I ve ever had.  That s not to say it was bad it just was quite unusual and not all that good!
Back to the hotel and the concierge had managed to get a tour booked for the next day.  A private car tour for $200, a tourbus group trip for $70 (which, according to their brochure wasn t operating gps airline flight tracker that day so I was suspicious, gps airline flight tracker or the guide I d managed to find.   Black Eagle Tours was the name of the company, and yes, he was taking a family of three already the next day and I was welcome to go along on their tour as long as I didn t mind it being in dutch!  Oh well, for SRD 290 it was a safe option, and hopefully it would work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment